Update on Paper Blogging

Students are really enjoying this exercise!

• Siblings have been enjoying commenting on sibling blogs (“You never tried octopus, how can you say you like all seafood?”)
  • Some students find it frustrating not knowing who made a comment.
  • Students are replying to comments on their “blogs” and inviting conversations.
  • Students are discussing the pros and cons of keeping negative or nitpicking comments.
  • Some conversations are between students who never knew they had a common passion.
  • A bevy of intermediate students asked permission to head for the library to “check their blogs” during their lunch break!
  • Favorites include pea soup, and root beer floats with mint chocolate chip ice-cream.

Conversations have opened up about family customs (Monday night milkshakes), ethnic foods, our diversity of taste, and body image. The body image discussion really impressed me, as one student complained that she couldn’t eat her favorite food because she was “too fat”–other students argued that she was lovely and should know that; that she shouldn’t worry about dieting if she usually made good food choices; that there were less-fat versions of her favorite; and one offered a recipe and shared that she was dieting, too.

Having the 5th grade girl and the 3rd grade boy and the 8th grade boy all learning that they share a passion for shrimp with cocktail sauce may not change their lives, but it has been a nice way to connect with each other. As we prepared to leave for Spring Break yesterday, I saw one student crushing a comment slip in a hug before replacing it on her “blog”! I am so glad we are helping these students feel the excitement of blogging in our small community, rather than online.

8 thoughts on “Update on Paper Blogging

1. Hi there Sue,

Thank you so much for adding your comment to my blog – I’m delighted that you’ve had an opportunity to try out “paper blogging”… and your photo of your students’ “blogs” is a really gorgeous image!

Please do feel free to use anything from my Mobile Learning blog – I shall be adding a Creative Commons (Attribution-Non-Commercial) license to my blog to ensure that others also feel welcome to use materials I post up.

Thanks again for posting up your experiences, and keep up the fantastic work!

Leonard. 🙂

2. Pingback: pointblog.com

3. This is quite the interesting little ‘social experiment.’ Hopefuly some other ‘forward-thinkers’ will adapt your methods! Good Job!

4. Ruth, thanks for asking, I found out it isn’t online where I thought it was. I just put it up here as a post.

I enjoyed reading your blog–especially your timely comment on getting back into reflective practices. I’m just back from a summer hiatus full of distractions, both delights and debacles, of epic proportions, and I am really looking forward (fingers crossed) to finding space for mindfulness again.

~Sue

5. Thanks for the great idea. Our school is just starting to blog this year. We won’t be startingn with the students until second quarter. We now have an in-school blog set-up. We want to start out conservatively, so we can ensure the students safety. I’m new to this and found this activity to be very helpful. I look forward to trying it with my students, especially the younger ones who have no knowledge of myspace or any social networking sites such as these. I teach levels K-8 and would be happy to recieve any tips and ideas you have in the blogging department.

Thanks,
    TeeKee

6. Welcome, TeeKee! You teach the same levels I do–what’s your area?
    I think your school will like paper blogging.

Other resources: I’ve mentioned some of my other favorite things and concerns early on in this blog (like body image–the Dove campaign for beauty video is super for that, and having a class research delicious account). I try and raise student awareness and savvy, so they will be safe when they go online and still know how to make connections and have rich conversations.

I love doing short videos for transition time, and teachertube.com is a safe site for finding some videos.
    And come on over to http://classroom20.ning.com/ for a social site with lots of teachers involved with technology who love to share ideas. You’ll find my profile there as bookwyrmish.

7. Pingback: Helping Students Add Value to Conversation–A Teacher’s Thoughts